Home Sport Basketball Breakers basketball star Glen Rice Jr a no-show in court

Breakers basketball star Glen Rice Jr a no-show in court

Danielle Clent/Stuff

Former NZ Breakers recruit Glen Rice Jr outside the Auckland District Court after an earlier court appearance.

Former New Zealand Breakers star Glen Rice Jr has avoided a court appearance on serious assault charges because he’s stranded in the United States due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.

The son of NBA star Glen Rice failed to show up to the Auckland District Court on Thursday.

Judge Emma Parsons told the Auckland District Court that the US forward had to be excused from attending because he was stranded in the US before the outbreak of the Coronavirus.

It was not clear when, or why, he was able to leave the country whilst facing a charge of injuring with intent to injure which arose following an incident at a bar in Auckland in November.

READ MORE:

NBL: NZ Breakers star recruit Glen Rice Jr sacked for breaching bail

NZ Breakers coach Dan Shamir has no regrets over Glen Rice Jr’s hasty return

Breakers import Glen Rice Jr to make shock return after Basketball Australia probe

Desperate NZ Breakers weighing their options over errant import Glen Rice Jr

The Judge noted on the file that Rice was unable to meet his bail conditions because of the restrictions on international travel, due to Covid-19.

Rice’s case will next be called in August, but he has been officially excused from attending.

The nearly 2m tall 29-year-old is understood to be in Texas.

Rice’s 35 days in New Zealand

His time in the NBL was a rollercoaster to say the least.

On November 5 the Breakers announced that they had signed the former NBA bad boy as injury replacement, a move that copped plenty of criticism.

After appearing in just two games for the Breakers, Rice was arrested on November 14.

Following the alleged assault, the owner Matt Walsh said he didn’t see Rice playing for Breakers again.

But the club back flipped on that statement and just hours after the import had been cleared to play by Basketball Australia’s Integrity Unit, he was back on the court.

This time he lasted just two days before being picked up by police in Auckland for breaching the terms of his bail.

The Breakers subsequently announced they would be cutting ties with the one-time Washington Wizard.

Stuff

Read More

Must Read

¿A dónde irá Sebastian Vettel en 2021?

En mayo pasado, Ferrari anunció que terminaba su relación con Sebastian Vettel después de la temporada 2020, seis años después de comenzar una sociedad con la que buscaban replicar el éxito que la Scuderia disfrutó durante la era Michael Schumacher. El director del equipo Ferrari, Mattia Binotto, explicó que Vettel había sido la "primera opción"…

Mercedes: Darum blieben beide Fahrer hinter dem Safety-Car auf harten Reifen -Total.com

(Motorsport-Total.com) - Viele Formel-1-Fans dürften sich am Sonntag in Spielberg gefragt haben, warum Mercedes seine beiden Piloten Valtteri Bottas und Lewis Hamilton in der zweiten Safety-Car-Phase nicht an die Box geholt hat. Denn Konkurrent Alexander Albon wechselte dahinter auf frische Soft-Reifen und hatte damit einen deutlichen Vorteil gegenüber den beiden Mercedes auf alten Hards. © Motorsport…

Horner elmondta, mi volt a Red Bull célja az óvásokkal

Christian Horner, a Red Bull Racing csapatfőnöke a csapat hivatalos blogján írt arról, hogy a Mercedes rossz stratégiai döntést hozott, ennek ellenére tudtak győzni, ők pedig arra törekednek, hogy olyanra fejlesszék a kocsijukat, amely felveheti a versenyt a Mercedesszel. „Halottam, hogy mit mondott Toto a verseny után. A csapatok és a versenyzők közti rivalizálásról szól…

Oficial: Renault confirma el regreso de Fernando Alonso a la F1

El piloto español regresará a la Fórmula 1 en 2021, tres años después de anunciar su retirada, aunque nunca llegó a dejar cerrada la puerta, como repitió en varias ocasiones desde entonces. Alonso sustituirá en Renault a Daniel Ricciardo, quien firmó con McLaren cuando Carlos Sainz dio el paso a Ferrari en el mes de…

Horse Racing Tips: Matt Chapman’s best bets for Newmarkwt and York

In a season where all the good stuff has come thick and fast, ITV Racing is back in action on Thursday with eight races from Newmarket and York. Let’s get straight to it, and start with the Newmarket fixture. Jason Weaver’s Top ITV Racing Tips At Newmarket And York On Thursday Newmarket 13.50: Lord Campari…