Home Sport Motorsport Motorsport: F1 condemns previous employer Bernie Ecclestone's remarks about racism

Motorsport: F1 condemns previous employer Bernie Ecclestone’s remarks about racism

Bernie Ecclestone.

Picture credit: Reuters.

Formula 1 authorities state they “completely disagree” with comments made by the sport’s previous chief executive Bernie Ecclestone that Black individuals were often more racist than white individuals.

” In lots of cases, Black people are more racist than what white people are,” Ecclestone stated in an interview with CNN.

Soon after the interview, F1 officals rapidly distanced themselves from Ecclestone.

” At a time when unity is needed to deal with racism and inequality, we entirely disagree with Bernie Ecclestone’s comments that have no place in Solution 1 or society,” they stated in a declaration.

” Mr Ecclestone has actually played no role in the sport considering that he left our organisation in 2017, his title Chairman Emeritus, being honorific ended, in January 2020.”

Six-times world champ Lewis Hamilton likewise condemned Ecclestone for “oblivious” remarks

” It makes total sense to me now that nothing was said or done to make our sport more varied or to deal with the racial abuse I got throughout my career,” added the Briton on Instagram.

Lewis Hamilton’s message on Instagram.

Photo credit: Instagram.

” If someone who has actually run the sport for years has such an absence of understanding of the deep routed [sic] problems we as Black individuals handle every day, how can we expect all the people who work under him to comprehend. It begins at the top.”

Previously this month Hamilton was “entirely overcome with rage” as he prompted individuals to speak up against racism.

Hamilton criticised his sport for its silence over the killing of George Floyd, a Black man who died in Minneapolis last month after a white U.S. policeman knelt on his neck.

” I’m surprised that [racism] issues him [Hamilton] even … I’m actually dissatisfied if he took it seriously,” Ecclestone stated.

” I’m surprised if anybody in Solution 1, definitely the teams and individuals like the promoters, have any issue about [racism].”

Ecclestone was changed as president of Formula 1 in 2017 after nearly 4 years in charge.

Reuters


Contact Newshub with your story ideas:

news@newshub.co.nz.

Learn More

Must Read

England suffers horror batting collapse on day two of very first Test

West Indies captain Jason Holder took a career-best 6-42 and won the first round of his private duel with England allrounder Ben Stokes as the touring side took control of the first Test at the Ageas Bowl on Thursday.Holder capitalised on more favourable bowling conditions under overcast skies on Day 2 to claim his seventh…

Airborne spread of coronavirus may be possible, World Health Company states

Tedros Adhanom, director general of the World Health Organization attends a meeting with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Beijing, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020.   -   Copyright  Naohiko Hatta/AP PhotoThe World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday that indoor airborne transmission of the coronavirus may be possible after more than 200 scientists urged them to address…

WHO boss forms coronavirus response panel with former Liberia, New Zealand leaders in charge

Former Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark will head a new World Health Organization panel tasked with giving “an honest assessment” of the global response to the coronavirus pandemic, the head of the United Nations health agency announced Thursday.WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, whose agency is facing a…

Julian Edelman, a Jewish NFL star, reacts to DeSean Jackson’s anti-Semitic posts, stating the world requires empathy

(CNN)New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, who is Jewish, responded on social media Thursday to Philadelphia Eagles DeSean Jackson's anti-Semitic social media posts."I know he said some ugly things but I do see an opportunity to have a conversation," Edelman said on Instagram. "I'm proud of my Jewish heritage and for me it's not…

WHO: Indoor airborne spread of coronavirus possible

Previously acquitted UK man convicted of terror attack plan Chowdhury was found guilty in February of planning to target popular attractions in London Updated 09 July 2020 AFP July 09, 2020 17:08 LONDON: A former Uber driver cleared of planning a terror attack at Buckingham Palace was on Thursday jailed for life after plotting a…