Home World Australia NSW duo denied SA entry found in Adelaide

NSW duo denied SA entry found in Adelaide

A NSW duo sent packing after trying to cross into South Australia during the week have been arrested in Adelaide, as the state records one new COVID-19 case. The 25-year-old man and 20-year-old woman tried to cross the border at Pinnaroo on Thursday, claiming they were headed interstate to sell a dog. They were refused entry and turned back to NSW, but police stopped their NSW-registered car in the Adelaide suburb of Kilburn on Saturday afternoon. The pair were charged with breaching COVID-19 directions and have been denied bail ahead of a court appearance on Monday. The arrests came as the state recorded one new case – a man aged in his 20s – of coronavirus. He had returned from interstate and has been in quarantine since his arrival. The addition means there are four active cases of COVID-19 in South Australia. Police warned South Australians to reconsider travel to Queensland after new cases of community transmission in the Sunshine state. Commissioner Grant Stevens said while people are allowed to return to SA from Queensland, it’s possible renewed restrictions will be imposed at short notice. A Brisbane man was infected after eating at the same restaurant as an infected woman charged with illegally entering Queensland. Authorities initially indicated he caught the virus from a family member, but Queensland Health said he was a direct contact of one of three women returning from Melbourne who allegedly lied on their border passes. Mr Stevens said no decision had been finalised regarding the re-introduction of travel restrictions with Queensland, nor was any date for changes being considered. But he said the situation would continue to be monitored. The warning came after a South Australian paramedic tested positive after going to Victoria to help test people for coronavirus. The woman in her 20s volunteered to help with testing operations in Melbourne to deal with with the current surge in cases. She returned to Adelaide on Wednesday and remains in isolation along with one close contact. Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the woman followed all the proper procedures with protective equipment but an infection in such circumstances was “part of the risk of this sort of work”. “She absolutely followed the correct infection control processes,” Prof Spurrier said. “This is risky business.” It was also revealed that 170 people were expected to arrive in Adelaide on Saturday on a repatriation flight from India. All will go into hotel quarantine with officials expecting at least some to have COVID-19. South Australia has reported four COVID-19 deaths and and 443 people have been cleared of the virus. Australian Associated Press

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/6c57109f-29d5-4d57-8c05-bb3f6a0e3988.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A NSW duo sent packing after trying to cross into South Australia during the week have been arrested in Adelaide, as the state records one new COVID-19 case.

The 25-year-old man and 20-year-old woman tried to cross the border at Pinnaroo on Thursday, claiming they were headed interstate to sell a dog.

They were refused entry and turned back to NSW, but police stopped their NSW-registered car in the Adelaide suburb of Kilburn on Saturday afternoon.

The pair were charged with breaching COVID-19 directions and have been denied bail ahead of a court appearance on Monday.

The arrests came as the state recorded one new case – a man aged in his 20s – of coronavirus. He had returned from interstate and has been in quarantine since his arrival.

The addition means there are four active cases of COVID-19 in South Australia.

Police warned South Australians to reconsider travel to Queensland after new cases of community transmission in the Sunshine state.

Commissioner Grant Stevens said while people are allowed to return to SA from Queensland, it’s possible renewed restrictions will be imposed at short notice.

A Brisbane man was infected after eating at the same restaurant as an infected woman charged with illegally entering Queensland.

Authorities initially indicated he caught the virus from a family member, but Queensland Health said he was a direct contact of one of three women returning from Melbourne who allegedly lied on their border passes.

Mr Stevens said no decision had been finalised regarding the re-introduction of travel restrictions with Queensland, nor was any date for changes being considered.

But he said the situation would continue to be monitored.

The warning came after a South Australian paramedic tested positive after going to Victoria to help test people for coronavirus.

The woman in her 20s volunteered to help with testing operations in Melbourne to deal with with the current surge in cases.

She returned to Adelaide on Wednesday and remains in isolation along with one close contact.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the woman followed all the proper procedures with protective equipment but an infection in such circumstances was “part of the risk of this sort of work”.

“She absolutely followed the correct infection control processes,” Prof Spurrier said.

“This is risky business.”

It was also revealed that 170 people were expected to arrive in Adelaide on Saturday on a repatriation flight from India.

All will go into hotel quarantine with officials expecting at least some to have COVID-19.

South Australia has reported four COVID-19 deaths and and 443 people have been cleared of the virus.

Australian Associated Press

Read More

Must Read

Steve Palmer’s US PGA Championship preview, best bets, free golf tips

Golf tips, best bets and player analysis for the US PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park on the PGA Tour. Where to watch Live on Sky Sports Golf from 6pm Thursday Best bets Webb Simpson3pts each-way 28-1 HillsXander Schauffele3pts each-way 18-1 HillsTommy Fleetwood2pts each-way 45-1 HillsCollin Morikawa2pts each-way 35-1 HillsLouis Oosthuizen1pt each-way 75-1 bet365Henrik Stenson0.5pt each-way 100-1 Betfair, Paddy Power Preview…

The PGA Championship –

Aug 2, 2020Bob HarigESPN Senior Writer Close Senior golf writer for ESPN.com Covered golf for more than 20 years Earned Evans Scholarship to attend Indiana UniversitySAN FRANCISCO -- At long last, golf will see a major championship played in 2020. It's been awhile. When Shane Lowry clutched the Claret Jug at Royal Portrush last summer,…

247Sports Big Ten Hoops Preseason Poll: Post-NBA Draft Deadline

The Big Ten routinely can puff out its chest as the deepest conference in college basketball. But the conference enters the 2020-21 season suffering from a 20-year national championship drought. Tom Izzo led Michigan State to the 2000 national championship. Maryland won the 2002 title as a member of the ACC. Since 2000, six Big Ten…

Joshiko Saibou: Basketball-Bundesligist entlässt Corona-Leugner fristlos

Stand: 13:33 Uhr | Lesedauer: 2 Minuten Veranstalter beendet laut Polizei Corona-Demo – Protest geht aber weiter Tausende haben in Berlin gegen die Maskenpflicht zum Schutz vor Corona-Ansteckungen protestiert – größtenteils ohne Mundschutz und Abstand. Nach einer Strafanzeige beendete der Veranstalter die Demonstration. Quelle: WELT/ Thomas Vedder Autoplay Am Wochenende hatte Joshiko Saibou in Berlin…

St Louis series at Detroit off after positive Cards tests

Photo: The Canadian Press Members of the St. Louis Cardinals wait to be introduced before the start of a baseball game against the Pittsburgh Pirates in St. Louis. Seven St. Louis Cardinals players and six staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, causing Major League Baseball to postpone the team's four-game series at Detroit. The…