Home Sport Basketball Three Pelicans players test positive for coronavirus, David Griffin says

Three Pelicans players test positive for coronavirus, David Griffin says

New Orleans Pelicans players have tested positive for the coronavirus, executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin told reporters Tuesday.

Griffin, citing privacy laws, did not say which players tested positive, but he did say those players are in isolation. He added that the three tests took place when players returned to the facility last week.

“The league had a system in place that was designed to catch these cases. The system worked, and we’re going to deal with it the best we can moving forward,” Griffin said.

“But from a basketball standpoint, I think you’re going to see COVID have an enormous impact on teams and even some of the teams that went into the bubble as a playoff seed. You’ve seen that Brooklyn has been really damaged by the COVID situation. So again, this is something where we’re all at the mercy of the same enemy.”

Last week, the NBA announced that 16 players had tested positive from the 22 teams set to play during the season restart in Orlando, Florida. Sources told ESPN the three Pelicans players were among those positive tests.

“We’ve had none since,” Griffin said. “We’re dealing with this as we go along.”

With regard to vulnerability to the coronavirus, Griffin, a cancer survivor, said he will join the team in Orlando but said the status of coach Alvin Gentry, who is 65, “is to be determined.”

Gentry, however, said Tuesday that he plans to be in Orlando.

“My plan right now is to be with the team in Orlando, and I’m looking forward to it, really. I think as the season was put on hiatus, we were playing really good basketball. So hopefully we can get back to that. That’s why I’m not treating it, really, as a training camp; I would treat it more of picking up where we left off when the season went on hiatus,” he said.

The Pelicans sit 3½ games back of the eighth-seeded Memphis Grizzlies. New Orleans’ season is set to restart July 30 against the Utah Jazz.

Read More

Must Read

‘It’s a big punishment already’: Manly captain defends length of Fonua-Blake ban

'It's a big punishment already': Manly captain defends length of Fonua-Blake banSkip to sections navigationSkip to contentSkip to footer24-year-old breached the code's anti-vilification code after also referring to the match officials as a "bunch of spastics" in the Lottoland sheds.That tirade was not directly aimed at the officials, but was part of Atkins' post-match report…

A 13 se eleva el número de fallecidos tras explosión de camión en Magdalena

A 13 ascienden las víctimas mortales de la tragedia registrada en la vía Ciénaga–Barranquilla, a la altura de Tasajera, informaron las autoridades de Salud del Distrito de Barranquilla. Según el reporte médico de la Clínica General del Norte, las personas fallecidas se encontraba en delicado estado de salud por las quemaduras que sufrieron en gran parte de su…

Princess marries Roald Dahl’s grandson in lavish royal wedding after changing the date

A Jordanian princess has married her British fiancé in what's believed to be the first royal wedding to take place during the coronavirus pandemic.Princess Raiyah of Jordan wed British journalist Ned Donovan in a lavish celebration in the UK, after postponing their nuptials earlier this year.Much like Britain's Princess Beatrice, who was due to marry…

¿Recuerdas a Erasmo Catarino? Tras ganar ‘La Academia’ y vivir tragedia, reaparece en TV Azteca

Ciudad de México.- Erasmo Catarino, originario de Xalpatláhuac, Guerrero, saltó a la fama en La Academia al ganar el exitoso reality de TV Azteca en la Cuarta Generación. El cantante, antes de que se iniciara en la música, se formó profesionalmente como maestro en la Normal de Tlapa. Su humildad y gran talento lo catapultaron le tenían casi asegurado…

Prince William and Harry agree to divide earnings from Diana fund

Prince William and Harry agree to divide earnings from Diana fundPrince William and Prince Harry have agreed to officially split future proceeds of their late mother Princess Diana’s memorial fund.As part of their separation of charitable activities, the Cambridges’ Royal Foundation and the Sussex Royal foundation which is no longer active, had signed an agreement…